Tuesday 22 March 2011

Corduroy Creations!

Last weekend my mum and I decided to make some corduroy creations. We made a pair of pants for myself, and also a corduroy dress and corduroy ra ra pants for a very special little girl for her birthday. I'll show pictures of the other two later on.


My pants took mum and I 4 hours in total from cutting the pattern to threading the cord. We first went to Granny Kathleens to find a pattern. We found a pattern for the dress but no luck for the pants. Next stop was Lincraft were we found a pattern for my pants and for the ra ras. Then we bought some red material for my pants and for the other creations.


The colourful cordy that we used for the trims, we found at a small shop in Brisbane called Just Plain Gorgeous, which is an awesome shop that has so much great crafty goodness it made mum and I squeal with delight!


On my pants I thought I could personalise them by adding one of my own designs on them. So I put a cut out of a mushroom I drew on one leg and we made a pocket on the other.


While mum was sewing the pants together I was making a swing behind our lounge room watching a movie and mum sew. We thought it was a pretty good try for our first attempt, especially for the fact that they fitted me perfectly.

On Sunday we went to the local markets where I wore my pants for the first time and I got lots of lovely comments. Also, mum found a big box of fleece to spin on her spinning wheel on our way out of the markets.
 

These pants are very special to me, I cant wait till winter cause I just know I'll wear them to death! They remind me of my mums childhood because her mum used to make her all kinds of clothes including shorts, shirts, jumpers, even undies and now my mums doing the same for me and I can't wait to see what else we will make together! Mum has taught me alot to do with craft and sewing and making these pants has taught me how to read patterns and the patience that is needed to make something great! 


1 comment:

  1. Hey cuz!
    nice pants!
    i just did a post about making passionfruit yoyo biscuits! they r sooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete